The Feeding Hands Pantry has a mission to live out God’s commandment to care for the poor by loving and serving neighbors in need. Feeding Hands opened their food pantry in 2014 and is currently serving as many as 250 families (760) people each month. With the compassionate help of many service groups, churches and individual volunteers Feeding Hands is addressing the issue of poverty and helping those who are caught in it’s clutches, while at the same time mobilizing the community and individuals to understand how to use their God-given gifts to create vibrant change inside their hearts and outside their walls.
Market Street Mission
Over the course of the last 18 months, the Pottersville Reformed Church has been reaching out to a handful of men who are in a recovery program at the Market Street Mission in Morristown. Each week the men join us for our Sunday service and share a meal with us monthly, giving us further opportunity to get to know them. These men are among 60 current residents in the LIFE CHANGE program at Market Street Mission which, in addition to meeting the needs of the homeless, serves men who are struggling with addiction. You can find more information about this vital ministry by going to their website at http://www.marketstreet.org/.
Family Promise (formerly Interfaith Hospitality Network)
PRC and FAMILY PROMISE/INTERFAITH HOSPITALITY NETWORK
Family Promise is a national, non-profit agency that networks religious and community organizations to provide shelter, meals and assistance for homeless families. The local office for Hunterdon County is located in Flemington, NJ.
- Family Promise in Hunterdon County consists of a group of county churches dedicated to helping temporarily homeless residents of the county. Ten churches are “host” churches and have accommodations to house people overnight in their facilities. About 27 churches are considered “support” congregations who provide and share meals and spend the nights and some weekend hours with the guests. On weekdays, the IHN (Flemington) staff provides job-counseling, assists in the search for housing, and helps with other issues that contribute to a family’s situation. The Pottersville Reformed Church is a support church and several of our members participate at the host church, the Fairmount Presbyterian Church. Participation includes:
- Supper Preparation and Serving for up to fourteen people.
- Overnight Hosts arrive at suppertime and stay with the guests through morning departure.
Those who have questions or may be interested in getting involved in the program can speak with Terri Tweedie or leave a message in the church office.
IHN WISH LIST
new bed pillows
full size personal care items (shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes
supermarket gift cards
Walmart gift cards
Reformed Church World Service
Reformed Church World Service (RCWS) is a ministry of compassion and hope. Its purpose is to work with partners to alleviate hunger and poverty and to seek justice for people around the world. RCWS aims to fulfill the biblical mandate to feed the hungry, give water to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, care for the sick, and visit the imprisoned (Matthew 25:35-36).
RCWS accomplishes its mission by:
- Providing emergency relief to disaster victims and others in need of immediate assistance.
- Participating in rehabilitation for people who have lost their homes and jobs.
- Encouraging development of long-term solutions to overcome the problems of hunger and poverty.
- Seeking justice through advocacy on behalf of poor and needy people.
- Challenging RCA members to learn more about the root causes of hunger and to give generously of their resources to help their neighbors who are poor and hungry.
Compassion Evangelical Hospital
Compassion Evangelical Hospital exists to provide compassionate, high quality, health care to the people of Guinea, West Africa, clearly sharing the love of Jesus in word and deed with every patient. Our goals are to be both a center of excellence for medical care in a region where the lack of access to care results in some of the highest morbidity and mortality rates in the world from treatable and preventable diseases and to be a center of transformation where people find spiritual healing through hearing and embracing the truth of the Gospel.
Click here for more information on CEH. (To see recent newsletters click at the top of their page on “news & updates”.)